TOC will never call patients and request Medicare ID numbers over the phone.
- If you receive a call from someone offering you a free brace that will be billed to Medicare, hang up immediately.
- If medical equipment is delivered to you, don’t accept it unless it was ordered by your physician. Refuse the delivery or return it to the sender. Keep a record of the sender’s name and the date you returned the items.
- Be suspicious of anyone who offers you free medical equipment and then requests your Medicare number. If your personal information is compromised, it may be used in other fraud schemes.
- A physician that you know and trust should approve any requests for equipment to address your medical needs.
- Medicare beneficiaries should be cautious of unsolicited requests for their Medicare numbers. If anyone other than your physician’s office requests your Medicare information, do not provide it.
- If you suspect Medicare fraud, contact the HHS OIG Hotline or visit oig.hhs.gov/bracescam