Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Surgery
Knoxville’s Best Choice for Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Surgery in Eastern Tennessee
When carpal tunnel syndrome keeps you from writing, typing, or playing your favorite sport without pain, there’s a lot that the orthopedic specialists at Tennessee Orthopaedic Specialists can do to cool the inflammation that’s causing your pain.
What Is Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?
Carpal tunnel syndrome is caused by compression of the median nerve that runs down your arm, through your wrist, and into your hand. When the median nerve passes through your wrist, it goes through what is called the carpal tunnel. When the carpal tunnel is inflamed and swollen, typically from overuse, it pinches the nerve, which results in pain, tingling, and numbness.
Symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome include the following, which you will notice in your hand, wrist, and fingers:
- Trouble holding a pen or writing
- Difficulty typing
- Poor grip strength
Treatments for Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
Carpal tunnel syndrome is highly treatable. Treatments for carpal tunnel syndrome that we recommend in our offices in East Tennessee include:
- Lifestyle changes – A great deal of the time, carpal tunnel syndrome is caused by overuse of the hand and wrist. It is particularly common among writers, painters, mechanics, and people who do repetitive motions with their hands. Avoiding the movements that aggravate your condition may be all you need to feel better.
- Bracing – Wearing a brace can stabilize your wrist while the swelling in your carpal tunnel heals.
- Medication – Anti-inflammatory medication can reduce the inflammation in your carpal tunnel so the median nerve is no longer compressed.
- Carpal tunnel surgery – In some cases, surgery is necessary to provide complete relief from carpal tunnel syndrome. Carpal tunnel surgery increases the size of the carpal tunnel so that the median nerve can slide through without becoming compressed.