Knoxville’s Best Choice for Patellofemoral Syndrome Treatment in Eastern Tennessee
Patellofemoral pain syndrome is pain at the front of the knee around the kneecap, or patella. Sometimes it is also referred to as “runner’s knee”, it’s more common in people who participate in sports that involve running and jumping.
Some factors that may increase your risk include:
- Certain sports
PATELLOFEMORAL SYNDROME SYMPTOMS
This syndrome usually causes a dull, aching pain in the front of the knee. The pain can increase or be irritated when:
- You walk up or down stairs
- You kneel or squat
- You sit with a bent knee for long periods
PATELLOFEMORAL SYNDROME CAUSES
There is no certainty as to what causes this syndrome, but it has been highly associated with:
- Overuse – Running or jumping sports puts repetitive stress on the knee joint, which can irritate the knee cap
- Muscle imbalance or weakness – Pain can occur when the muscles around the hip and knee don’t keep the kneecap properly aligned
- Injury – Trauma to the kneecap has been linked to patellofemoral pain syndrome
- Surgery – Knee surgery can increase the risk of patellofemoral pain syndrome
PATELLOFEMORAL PAIN SYNDROME TREATMENT
Treatment often starts with rest; avoid or modify activities that irritate the knee, such as climbing stairs, kneeling, or squatting.
Some other treatments include:
- Over-the-counter medications such as ibuprofen to help with pain and swelling
- A physical therapist might suggest rehab exercises, supportive braces, taping, ice, and knee-friendly sports such as bicycling and swimming.
Our Knee Surgeons
Tennessee Orthopaedic Clinics, Dr. Dabbs, Now Offering Persona IQ® , the World’s First and Only Smart Knee Implant for Total Knee Replacement Surgery
Dr. Ryan L. Dabbs with Tennessee Orthopaedic Clinics is now offering Persona IQ®, the world’s first and only smart knee implant granted De Novo status by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration for...
Knee replacement surgery is proven to provide pain relief, improve mobility and quality of life, but it has a reputation of being painful. Learn more here.
There are few health conditions more painful and debilitating than osteoarthritis. Osteoarthritis is the most common form of arthritis and affects millions of people in the United States and around...
Knee arthroscopy involves inserting an arthroscope, or telescope, into your knee joint to see inside and treat conditions of the knee.