Knoxville’s Best Choice for Sciatica Treatment in Eastern Tennessee
Sciatica is nerve pain from an injury or irritation to the sciatic nerve in the back, which originates in the buttock area. “Sciatica” is a term used to describe any pain that originates in the lower back and radiates down the leg. An actual injury to the sciatic nerve itself is very uncommon. The pain many experience is an injury to a nerve causing irritation, inflammation, pinching, or compression of a nerve in the lower back.
Sciatica pain can be caused by several different medical issues including but not limited to:
- A herniated or slipped disk in your back
- Degenerative disk disease
- Spinal stenosis, or abnormal narrowing of the spinal canal
- Osteoarthritis, or bone spurs
- Trauma injury to the lower back or sciatic nerve
- Tumors in the lower back
- Piriformis syndrome; is a condition where a small muscle in the buttocks becomes tight or spasms
SCIATICA TREATMENT AND EXERCISES
The goal of any treatment is to decrease pain and increase mobility. With sciatica pain, the treatment plan varies depending on the cause. Many sciatica issues can be resolved with self-care treatments such as:
- Applying ice or hot packs; starting with ice packs to reduce pain and swelling, then switch to heat after a few days.
- Take over-the-counter medications to help reduce pain, inflammation, and swelling. These medications include aspirin, ibuprofen, or acetaminophen.
- Perform gentle stretches and exercises including but not limited to:
- Nerve mobilizing stretch
- Low lunge
- Pigeon stretch
- Back extension
- Knee to opposite shoulder stretch
- Hamstring stretch
Our Spine Surgeons
What are The Signs of Poor Spine Health?
As we all know, the spine is important to our posture and balance. However, not many realize just how important the spine is when it comes to other simple daily tasks. As a result, many go about...
How Can Orthopedic Physicians Help With Osteoarthritis Treatment?
There are few health conditions more painful and debilitating than osteoarthritis. Osteoarthritis is the most common form of arthritis and affects millions of people in the United States and around...
How Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery Can Help You
Minimally invasive spine surgery allows patients with spinal injuries, spinal stenosis, scoliosis, and other spine conditions to find relief more easily.
Testimonial From Patient Lee Solomon
I would recommend Dr. Wells to anybody that has this kind of back problem. He’s thorough and he’s takes great pride in his craft.